Selected publications and papers
Unless otherwise indicated, links are to PDF documents, and open in a new window.
Links whose text is a URL are to documents on third-party sites.
Albania since 1991
- 1999. The beginning of the end of a rebellion: Southern Albania May-June 1997. East European Politics and Societies 13(3):543-565.
- 2002. The wrong end of the telescope: Economic migrants, immigration policy, and how it looks from Albania. The Political Quarterly 73(4):436-444.
- 2003. From cow to customer: Informal marketing of milk in Albania. Anthropology of East Europe Review 21(1):149-158.
- 2004. Negotiating the legacy of tradition: rural women's empowerment in southern Albania. Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities, Economics, 7(2).
- 2004. The tractor, the shop and the filling station: Work migration as self-help development in Albania. Europe-Asia Studies 56(6):877-890.
- 2004. Albanian return migrants and micro-enterprise, in D. Pop, ed., New Patterns of Labour Migration in Central and Eastern Europe. Cluj Napoca, Romania:AMM Editura:94-110.
2008. Reprinted in: Sridhar Krishnan, ed., Micro-enterprises Perspectives and Experiences. Hyderabad: Icfai University Press: 132-155.
Albania 1912 to 1939
- 2006. Women who shared a husband: polygyny in Southern Albania in the early twentieth century. History of the Family 11(1): 45-57.
- 2011. Women activists in Albania following independence and World War I, in Ingrid Sharp and Matthew Stibbe, ed., Aftermaths of War: Women's Movements and Female Activists, 1918-1923. Leiden:Brill:179-196 (with Fatmira Musaj).
- 2013. Accommodating the internally displaced in south-central Albania in 1918
UNHCR NEW ISSUES IN REFUGEE RESEARCH Research Paper No. 267.
- 2015. On the Front Line in Someone Else's War: Mallakastër, Albania, 1916-18. REGION: Regional Studies of Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia 4(2): 247-63 (Special Issue: The Great War and Eastern Europe, see https://slavica.indiana.edu/journalListings/region/Volume4_No2).
- 1999. Albanian society between the wars: a working bibliography (Word Document). Centre for Scandinavian Studies Papers/Skrifter 4. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
Poland after World War I
- 2016. The return from Russia and rebuilding in Eastern Poland after World War One. Resources in the archive of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Friends' House, London. Białoruskie Zeszyty Historyczne 46:51-59.
Population and demography
- 2003. Data versus theory: late nineteenth century narratives of migration and urbanisation. Nineteenth-century Worlds: Local/global, London, UK, 10-12 July.
- 1992. If the theory fits: a tale of academic self-delusion and policy-makers' expediency. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 16(3):397-407.
- 1991. Longueur des périodes intercensitaires et ampleur des omissions dans les données migratoires issues des recensements. Population 46(5):1283-1289.
- 1990. The hidden component in census-derived migration data: Assessing its size and distribution. Demography 27(1):111-119.
- 1980. Is a migration decision a migration decision? Paper to the 5th World Congress for Rural Sociology, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 1980. Je li migrartorna odluka odluka o migriranju? Sociologija Sela (Zagreb) 18(69/70):135-147.
- 1996. Personal histories and social restructuring: the transformation of a peasant society. The Sociological Review 44(1):35-57.
- 1995. Domestic production and the market: Where status and contract meet. Sociology 29(2):221-239.
- 1993. From interest group to (almost) equal citizenship: Women representatives in the Norwegian parliament. Parliamentary Affairs. 46(2):255-263.
- 1979. The structure of the household economy in rural North Norway, in Lili Maria Szwengrub, ed., The integrated development of human and natural resources: the contribution of rural sociology. Wrocław: Ossolineum:177-199.
- 1971. Tilbakeflytting til et utkantdistrikt. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning (Oslo) 12(2):99-122.
- 1997. Inside Southern Albania (Word document) May-June 1997. Albanian Life 62:7-10.
- 2001. From migrant to micro-entrepreneur: Do-it-yourself development in Albania. South-East Europe Review 4(3):39-41.
- 2008. Letter from Albania, (Word document) Guardian Weekly 11-17 January: 27.
- 2017. Poor Albanians who hosted displaced Kosovars, Forced Migration Review 55, June 2017.
Tre milion pushkë i shpallin luftë qiellit (Word document)
(Three million guns make war against the sky)
Marash Mirashi (Koha Jonë 4 June 1997)
Reprinted in: Marash Mirashi 2005. Viset e dhimbjes (poezi). Tiranë: Ombra GVG.
English translation by Beryl Nicholson.